Any day now, Chuck and I are supposed to find out where our next assignment will be! I think I’ve mentioned he was selected for some specialty billet, which narrows our options a great deal. It seems that Monterrey, California, and the DC area are the two most likely! We’d most likely move late summer, when Chuck gets back from Afghanistan.
We both have a preference for Monterrey. It would be a grand adventure, something new, and the billet would eventually send us overseas – an even bigger adventure!! DC is a great option too, of course, for many obvious reasons. We already have a social and professional network there, it’s fun, and it’s accessible.
At this point, my biggest hold-up to going to Cali are all the rapid-fire weddings we have. I’m starting to get super nervous about those. Two are in September, two are in October, one in November, and one in January. Chuck and I are in pretty much all of them.
They are going to be crazyyyy costly if we are in California. Like, thousands of dollars costly. And then what about the holidays thrown in the mix, when we’ll be expected to fly home again? I’ll have to be the Scrooge that says “no, we just can’t do it!”
Otherwise, Chuck and I will just have to go to each (or most) solo, which sucks, but it will cut our costs in half. I’m trying to avoid backing out of any – you can’t really back out of a wedding you’re in. I don’t want to stop pulling for California… but if we do get it, I’m going to have to pace myself so I can enjoy the experience, as well as the weddings! But the craziness of this fall/winter definitely makes DC atypically tempting…
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but luckily the USMC will make that decision for me 😉